Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One of those days

Well today was a relatively uneventful day, went to work and didn't leave the lunch room. That's right today I got paid a pretty chunk of change to clean up my hard drive and watch documentaries, I'm okay with this. But I managed to catch a little blip from someone and it got me thinking about freedom of speech. How free should speech be and should we censor hate mongers for the potential harm they can cause. I can only give my opinions on this one because I don't have stats to back myself up but I do have reason so we'll see how you all feel whether or not my reason is sound or not.
Freedom of speech is like to me any other freedom, free. These things are not decided by someone else no one is allowed to tell you what you can or can not do. I'm not saying there is no responsibility for your actions rather I'm trying to express that for everyones right to say something everyone else has the right to choose whether or not to believe. So there isn't a simple right or wrong in statements but rather a check and balance of freedom and responsibility. I can call for a eugenic world in which only the mightiest blackest gerbils are allowed to continue and only if they boycott right hand turns and the check to that ludicrousness is everyone else going "well isn't that cute, he's nuts and has his own soap box, so we can gain amusement and chuckle over dinner." Now I know there are people who are more convincing and make things like looting and pillaging seem reasonable and even necessary (Iraq) but it's the responsibility of everyone not to get caught up in rhetoric. Remember my freedoms and rights end where yours begin and the idea of any right or freedom that you can claim for yourself is that you have now granted it to everyone you deal with. I'll have to attach the philosophy of freedom at some point or if you like look it up on youtube. Very much worth the time to watch.

Take 'er easy kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment