Sunday, August 9, 2009

Guilty until proven innocent?!

So get this, I was at work the other day and we were going over some stupid rules that allows people to be fired without any real defense. So I piped up, because that is what I do, with a quick question of "What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?". Seemed like a rational enough question, you're threatening these people lively hood there should be some form of defense and accountability for false allegations. Now here's the kicker, I was quickly shot down with a quick innocent until proven guilty is an american phrase in Canada we're guilty until proven innocent. After that buddy goes off about how he has some sort of history in law or something I wasn't really listening because I was still reeling trying to contain my temper.
So here I feel like I've been punched in the gut because everything in me tells this is wrong and total bullshit. Unfortunately I can't think of where it is in Canadian law that says I'm right... but I'm pretty sure it's in the first few pages. So I get back to my room after work and do a quick google (remind me later to put a giant sign on my roof saying fuck you google that can be read by their little satellite) only to find that sure enough section 11(d) of the charter of rights and freedoms states: "Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal". It doesn't even limit it to crimes! ANY OFFENCE! As you all might imagine I'm now royally fucking pissed for multiple reasons and now have to come up with the most effective way to tell safety and shell to suck the rankest spray poo I can muster.
Ah le sigh... I've already gone toe to toe with their security over unreasonable detention search and similar noise telling them that yes they had a very nice little card that said they were allowed to search people on site but I saw nothing on there about it super ceding the Canadian constitution or the UN declaration of Universal Human Rights. You can imagine how popular I am with these people although we no longer have security guards checking our bags as we leave.
Any thoughts on how to constructively talking to these people about such things would be appreciated cause I don't think my suck spray poo comments are going to be over constructive despite their therapeutic nature.

Aloha Eh! Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment